Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Watercoloring Diecuts When You Don't Know How to Watercolor

 


The question I get a lot is, how do you paint your dies or your background? My answer would be, like a kindergartener. 

For this card, I ripped a page out of my Canson Mixed Media pad. I bought it at Michaels, it's lightweight paper, it says 98 lb. The pages are 5.5" x 8.5". This paper isn't anything special, it's lightweight watercolor paper.

Below is a video on how I painted the paper to be diecut. I bought Altenew's Pink Star Tulip for this card. I wet the paper using a big paintbrush. This is just an inexpensive paintbrush I purchased at Michael's. I used Altenew's Artists Watercolors and started layering the paper with pink and red paint, going light to dark. At first I paint horizontally but then I knew it'd be better to start painting in all different directions, but no plan. Like when you were in kindergarten and just painted a page because it made you feel like an artist. LOL.




I applied water liberally, just to keep the paint moving. I dried the paper in between layers, even picking up the paper to move the puddles around. The key is uneven application of paint. It will make the flower look more interesting. 

I just kept adding paint randomly, even adding some purple and blue to darken the bottom of the page. That's it. I made another page in purples, adding some pink and reds for variation.

For the background, I used this from my stash:


I have another video on how I made this background. You can see it if you click here .

I embossed the sentiment in gold but if you look closely you can see I accidently got embossing powder where I didn't want it, so I couldn't use it. I ended up diecutting a circle from it to use on another card. I saved this scrap to diecut more from it but found I could cover up the circle and bad embossing with the flowers! Yay!

                    


SUPPLIES: Click the links below to take you to where you can purchase. If you use my links to make a purchase, I receive a small commission from the store at no additional cost to you. It lets me and the store know you find my tutorials helpful. All supplies used for this card were purchased by me. Thank you!


----  http://shrsl.com/4htdq  [Altenew Store]
----  http://shrsl.com/4hte3  [Simon Says Stamp]


----  http://shrsl.com/4hte8  [Altenew Store]
----   http://shrsl.com/4htek  [Scrapbookcom]



I hope you find this as easy as I did, plus it's fun to mindlessly paint!

I can be found on Instagram @Susanbcards where I post several times a week.




No comments:

Post a Comment