Sunday, August 30, 2020

A "Specimen" treat box

The new Tim Holtz Stamper's Anonymous "Specimen" stamp set screams to be stamped and put into a specimen box. I've made these boxes before, inserting fake flowers or butterflies. This bug is perfect for a Halloween treat box.
I used a piece of 7"x 7" kraft cardstock, 85 lb. Score at 5", turning and scoring at 5" on all 4 sides.


If you've hand made boxes before, this one is simple, if not, I'd tell you to go to Youtube and find a video, it will help. Here I cut a slit in the corner, cutting out a smidge helps when gluing the box together. Cut the corner and turn so you cut the corners as seen above.

The lid is a piece of 5.75" x 5.75" piece of Tim Holtz Idea-ology "Mini Collage" paper it's an 8x8" pad.
I scored it at 1/4" and 1 1/4"all on all 4 sides. I then cut a 3" square out of the center, laid red tape (double sided tape) around the cut out, and attached a piece of clear film cut a smidge smaller than 3" square. This is a regular bakery type box. I then folded and cut the corners as seen above, glued it all together to form a lid.

Here you can see the inside of the lid. I took a piece of 110 lb white cardstock and cut it to 3 1/2" inch square, scored at 1/4" on all 4 sides, cut and glued it together to form a drop where the bug would sit. I sprayed the paper with Distress Oxide spray in Hickory Smoke, Walnut Stain and Vintage Photo before I glued it together to look grundgy for the bug. I put a little bit of glue around the 1/4" edge to attach it to the lid. I stamped the with black archival ink and black heat embossed the bug to give it shine. I fussy cut the bug, inked the edges in black and used a pop dot to give the bug dimension.

 
I attached a specimen ephemera piece from Idea-ology Field Notes Snippets. The Toxiique sign is from Idea-ology Halloween baseboard pack. I didn't attach it, I'm still deciding if I want to put twine around the box, I just though the box needed a little color pop.





No comments:

Post a Comment