Saturday, May 9, 2020

"Ceramic" Box made with Tim Holtz Sizzix Botanical 3D Embossing Folder


I made a card with basically the same process the other day, the instructions are on my blog. I can never leave well enough alone and thought, this would make a pretty ceramic box!
 I did make a few changes to the process to make it easier since I was using so many pieces of paper to cover the box. I made the box out of plain 2 pieces of 12x12 85 lb.cream cardstock, I cut down, and 1 piece of 8.5 x 11 65 lb cardstock cut down. After covered, the box is sturdy.

I can't take credit for the plain box, it's from a site called Mixedupcraft.com "A Good Strong Gift Box" or you could just cover a pre-made box. 
This finished box is approx. 5 1/4" x 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" 
Each mat is cut about an 1/8" smaller than the section I covered. I went through the whole process and then cut the pieces using a guillotine cutter to the size I wanted, this I found worked better as the box is never exact when you make it depending on how it's scored and glued together.

For the  plain box you need 2 pieces of 11 5/8" x 7 1/2" cream cardstock and 1 piece of 7 5/8" x 7 5/8" cream cardstock and good glue. Again, follow Mixed Up Craft instructions.

For the decorated sides I used: cream cardstock about the size areas I wanted to cover. For the lid top, 3 3/4" x 3 3/4", lid sides (4 pieces) 3 3/4" x 1". For the box body, (4 pieces) 4 1/4" x 3 1/2" All of which I trimmed down later to properly fit.
 All products are Tim Holtz except the clear embossing powder, I just pour it in a container so I'm not sure which brand. To color the leaves: Distress Ink in Broken China, Distress Embossing Glaze in Weathered Wood all covered with clear embossing powder and heated. Dark Espresso Distress Ink which I mixed with water and painted on the background, Vintage Photo Distress Crayon. Hemp Cord #20 from Michaels, Idea-Ology Compass Coins and Silverware.

These are for the sides of the lid, I placed them in the middle of the embossing folder and ran them through together.
I colored the leaves and ran a embossing pad over the raised areas, sprinkled the Embossing Glaze over it, used a brush to brush off the glaze in the areas I didn't want it, then heated. I then used the Distress Ink like watercolor paint and painted a bit of the background to age it. I then pressed embossing ink into the recessed areas so I could adhere clear embossing powder. I let it stick to the raised areas as well, just makes extra shine after heating! I took a Distress Crayon in Vintage Photo over a few areas of the leaves and flowers, rubbed it in with my finger I dampened.

Same process for the top and sides.

I trimmed all these pieces down about 1/8" inch for a tiny border and used Distress Collage Medium to adhere all of these to the plain box, using acrylic blocks to hold it down so it sticks, especially around the edges. This just takes a few seconds. I used a bottle of glue to dab a little glue onto any corners or edges that didn't stick. I tied on 2 pieces of Hemp Cord and attached the Compass Coin and Silverware. That's it. 

I will say this box takes a while to make especially if you are making the plain box. This takes what I call crafty patience, you have to enjoy this process because it's detailed but it's so unique in the end and really is something you can display on a shelf.





No comments:

Post a Comment