Thursday, July 9, 2020

Handmade House Gift Box



Box dimensions 3.5" x 3.5" x 5.5". The lid is 2.5" x 3.75"x 3.75"
For the walls of the box I used: (4) pieces of beige cardstock 4"x 9" each.
For the roof lid I used: (2) pieces of brown cardstock 3.5" x 7.75" each.
Sizzix Tim Holtz 3D "Brickwork" embossing folder
Assorted brown Distress Inks
Window die 2.5" x 3.5"
To make the door Sizzix Tim Holtz "Lumber" 3D embossing folder
Assorted lightweight printed paper and brads
Sizzix Adhesive Sheets

For the walls: Score the paper at 3.5" on the long side. Turn the paper to the short side and score at 1/2" (these will be the connecting tabs). The long side on the left will be the walls, the square side will be the bottom of the box.
Place 1 of the beige pieces into the Brick embossing folder, carefully lining it up so the bricks are straight. I didn't want the bottom of the box to be embossed so I put a piece of washi tape on the embossing folder to let me know when to stop running it through, this is similar to partial die cutting 
I did this for each of the 4 pieces.



I glued lightweight printed paper on the side of the wall to decorate the inside of the box. Not necessary but a finishing touch. I diecut the rectangle where I wanted the window to be, that way the window opening would show through but since the window die is larger, it will stick onto the brick. I cut one window die for both the inside and outside of the walls. 


Glue the walls together to make a box: Take a wall put glue on tab, attach it to another wall on the side without the tab.
Glue the bottom of the box together.

For the roof lid: Take the 3.5" x 8" brown cardstock and score at 1/2" and 2.5" on the long side. Turn the cardstock once and score at 1/2" and 4 1/8". Glue the tab to the side with no tab to make a lid.
I used red tape on 2 side of the OUTSIDE of the lid (the 1/2" part)
I made small fold marks where it'll press in.

Glue on all 4 sides of the INSIDE of the lid on the 1/2" part
Remove the red tape plastic to expose the glue, push it all together to form the milk carton lid. It's a little troubling, but just carefully push it together I used more scrap lighweight paper to decorate the lid.

To make the door, I put a piece of brown cardstock into the Lumber embossing folder, ran it through the Big Shot and then used brown, black distress ink over the raised areas, added a little white Distress Crayon to give texture to the piece. I then took a piece of kraft cardstock the same size as the Lumber piece and attached a piece of Sizzix Permanent adhesive sheet to it. It's sticky on both sides. I then cut the Lumber piece into 1/4" strips and attached them to this adhesive. I then partially diecut this piece using a rectangle and then used an oval die for the top of the door. I forgot to take a pic of this part.

I know these instructions are a bit confusing and probably need a video to do it justice. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have questions

No comments:

Post a Comment