Thursday, September 9, 2021

Cut Out Leaves- Die cut and Dry Embossed

 


I love this Sizzix/Tim Holtz "Cut Out Leaves" die set. It only cuts out the leaf pattern inside the leaf, it doesn't cut the outer edge of the leaf, so just the design is cut. I had this idea to die cut just some of the leaves and emboss the dies on the rest of the card.
I first diecut the 4 leaves in the center of 3 1/2" x 7 1/4" white 110 lb panel. I then placed the dies onto the panel so it would look like falling leaves. This time I put the Sizzix Silicone Rubber Pad under the cardstock but still use the regular cutting plates and the Multi Purpose Platform set for embossing. This silicone rubber pad acts as a cushion, letting the dies emboss the paper rather than cut the paper. Don't worry, the silcone pad doesn't get die cut as long as you use these Thin lit dies. You just can't use the silcone pad with BIGZ dies, which are made to cut chipboard, etc. Don't ask me how I know this, just know that this is my second silicone pad.
You really want to diecut first, emboss second because if you do it the other way around, the 2nd time you put it through the Big Shot it will smash the embossed leaves down and they will look flat, not as good.

I then cut a 2nd panel for underneath the die cut panel so I could add color to the diecuts. I cut it slightly smaller so I wouldn't have to worry about the edges sticking out anywhere. Here are the colors and order I sprayed them, drying them in between, eliminating too much blending.




I happen to have the purple diecut Thanks (Altenew) on my desk, originally for another project. I liked the fall/Thanksgiving vibe it gave. I don't usually use a sentiment in a color that isn't already on my project but I liked the contrast and just pulled it all together by matting the panel in purple.

That's my card. I like the look of the diecuts and embossing. I hope you try it and tag me on Instagram if you post it.

@susanbcards on Instagram, I post almost everyday with a new card.


5 comments:

  1. Your card is so beautiful! I love that it is a slimline card and those cut outs are so colorful! Well done! Thanks for joining us at The Four Seasons Challenge!
    Glenda/DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card and a fabulous way to create your leaves! Thank you for joining our challenge at Four Seasons!
    Diane FS DT {Nellies Nest}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Susan this is just BEAUTIFUL! LOVE your design ... well done!!! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Four Seasons Challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back again soon.

    Darlene
    FOUR SEASONS CHALLENGE
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
    Please stop in for a visit!


    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so very pretty! Thanks for playing along with us at The Four Seasons Challenge!

    ReplyDelete